Student: Mihai Chereji
- Austin Matzko @filosofo
- Mitcho Yoshitaka @mitchoyoshitaka
- Daryl Koopersmith @dkoopersmith
- Andrew Ozz @azaozz
21 year Romanian student, currently studying Sotware Engineering at Babeș-Bolyai University, in Cluj-Napoca, Romania.Started programming in high-school,which I liked even though I didn’t spend a whole lot of time on it. That changed towards the end of it and decided to pursue higher education in this field. I’ve been working as a web-developer since August last year (until December at a web agency here in Cluj, and since then as a freelancer with my brother), and have been using WordPress for projects for clients and friends ever since.
Using the localStorage API (maybe a wrapper around it like store.js to provide a fallback for legacy browsers) I’ll implement a fallback for when a user’s Internet connection goes down while he’s editing a post. Drafts and autosaves will be saved in the localStorage if the connection is detected to have fallen, and synchronized when the connection goes back up (even in a different session).
You will be able to follow the development more closely on my dev-blog
I will use the bonding period to research localStorage browser incompatibilities, available libraries, limitations and best practices. I will also research (and talk out with the mentor and community) the best way to save the states of drafts (format and implementation-wise) and explore the existing code related to saving posts (automatic drafts especially).
- Week 1 ( May 24th – May 30th) – Iron out all (most) design issues that might arise.
- Weeks 2 – 4 (May 31st – June 19th) – Save drafts to local storage.
- Weeks 6 – 8 (June 20th – July 10th) – Detect connection state changes. Implement restoring from localStorage when connection goes back up.
- Weeks 9 – 10 (July 18th – July 31st) – Documentation, code clean-up.
- Week 11 onward – Bug fixes, polish and unit tests.