On Wednesday, I had my last final exam which means GSoC is now my full-time job. I decided to complete as many tasks as I can to leave more time for bigger tasks, so I completed my first two tasks in my schedule:
After a little planning on paper to see what I will need during the creation of the plugin, I realized that for the first task I only needed to write 4 functions:
- Function to create the database backup
- Function to remove the database backup
- Function to list database backup files
- Function to download the database backup
These were quite easy, so I wrote and committed them right away.
Then, I moved onto the second task which required creation of a database backup with URL replacements made. At first, I thought this was going to be rather complicated but soon I realized that writing a function to make replacements in serialized strings and slightly modifying the function that creates the database backup would be enough. So I did that and modified create_database_backup() to take two parameters: old URL and the new URL. Therefore if you pass those parameters, it creates a database backup with replacements made on the fly but if you don’t, it will just backup the current database as is.
In the following days, I will create tickets for the rest of the tasks and move onto the next task on my schedule:
- June 14th – Tool to archive files should be written by now.
I am currently 11 days ahead of my schedule as I planned, so it is good to know that time will not be an issue to worry about.
That’s all, see you next week!